Arc Fault Circuit Protection
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, during a typical year, an estimated 248,500 one- and two-family residential building fires are reported to U.S. fire departments and cause an estimated 2,135 deaths, 8,550 injuries, and $5.9 billion in property loss. Many of the fires attributed to “faulty wiring” are caused by arc faults that standard circuit breakers and fuses cannot detect.
Other possible Arcing Faults:
- Damaged wires.
- Worn electrical insulation.
- Cables improperly nailed or stapled.
- Cords in contact with vibrating metal.
- Cord deteriorated by heat.
- Cracked or stressed electrical cords.
- Misapplied or damaged appliances.